Mike and his dad both thought that this recipe was lost for good, until Mike's grandma found it recently!
Bob told me that he would go over to Ma's house (who was 100% Italian!) and she would always have cookies and baked goodies for her grandchildren. Around Christmastime, she would have this biscotti and fresh coffee ready for him to eat! He would dip it in his coffee while the canary would be chirping away!
When Bob tried this after I made it, he said it gave him goosebumps because it tasted just like hers :) No matter how much you bake and cook, it's always rewarding to hear those comments!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: approx. 3 dozen
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease and flour a large 21" x 15" baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs well with a large whisk. Add the sugar and whisk together.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and add to the egg mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in the almonds.
- Pour the mixture evenly on the baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, until done in the center. (Use a toothpick and check to see that it comes out clean.)
- Allow to cool before slicing the biscotti into 1/2 inch thick pieces across the width of the pan. Then, cut each long slice into 2 pieces.
- Change the oven temperature to 475 degrees F. Lay cut slices on another baking sheet, cut side up. Bake for 5 minutes. Flip pieces over with the other cut side facing up. Bake for 5 more minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack before eating!
Source: Mary (Ma) Frescura