We try making several strawberry recipes during the off-season, but it's never the same. The strawberries that we found in Smicksburg are hands down the BEST! Just look at how vibrant and red those beautiful berries are! And the photo was taken with no filters on my iPhone :)
For this next recipe, I thought I would do an awesome take on a family tradition recipe. During black raspberry season, (so soon!!) it is a requirement that we have black raspberry cookie pie. Check out that recipe here!
Black Raspberry Cookie Pie
This recipe is identical except for the black raspberries. We use the same proportions and amount of sugar with the strawberries as we do with our black raspberries. I hope you enjoy this different take on a family favorite!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: About 20 good-sized pieces
- 6 cups strawberries, washed
- 1/3 cup tapioca
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/3 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mix together the strawberries, tapioca and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Allow to sit for at least a half hour. (This lets the berries macerate - the berries become softer and the sugar allows the berries to get juicy!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 15" cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Then, in another medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two forks. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the egg, milk, and vanilla. Then, add to the shortening mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Reserve a softball sized ball of dough for the lattice on top of the pie. Pat the rest of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, making the edges a bit thicker.
- Spread the fruit and juice evenly over the crust.
- Roll out the rest of the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/2 - 3/4 inch strips. Lay over the fruit in diagonal, overlapping rows.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top crust looks golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!!