I honestly don't know what I was thinking. This cake. I could probably eat a piece of this cake every day and never get sick of this. It. is. amazing.
And the best part? I use a box. Yep. A box. And no one can ever tell the difference!
I still crave this cake though. Sorry hun.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12-15 slices (depending on how hungry you are!)
- 1 box yellow cake mix (I swear by the Betty Crocker Super Moist mixes)
- Eggs, oil, and water--as called for by your cake mix
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple slices
- 1 (8 oz.) jar maraschino cherries (optional)
- Walnut halves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Slice the butter in small pieces and lay in the bottom of a nonstick baking pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter. Set in the oven for about 5 minutes. (I usually time mine so that when I am done mixing the cake, the butter is melted and ready to remove from the oven.)
- Meanwhile, mix the cake according to box directions. Set aside.
- Drain the pineapple and lay the slices in the pan, on top of the butter and brown sugar. (Here is where you can add the cherries and/or walnuts if you would prefer!) Then, pour the cake batter evenly on top.
- Bake as directed on box, about 30 minutes.
- Once the cake is taken out of the oven, let sit about 5 minutes. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Invert the sheet on top of the cake pan and flip the cake onto the pan. (If you wait too long, the sugar will harden and will be difficult to remove from the pan.) Allow to cool before serving. It is also quite delicious warm!! Enjoy!