This is one meal that is absolutely on my "keep list." For the exquisite taste of this recipe, the simplicity is amazing! All you need for a true restaurant-quality meal is just a little over an hour of your time!
Serving Size: 6
- 1 box (8 oz.) cannelloni or manicotti pasta (about 12 shells)
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling at end
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil, or 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (I know it's not an exact conversion, but with the strength of dried basil, I limited it. Feel free to add more or take away for your tastes!)
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper (yes, there is a difference!)
- Bechamel Sauce (recipe follows)
- Cook the pasta to box directions. Drain and set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 baking dish.
- Fill the cannelloni with crab mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Top the filled cannelloni with bechamel sauce and sprinkle with reserved parmesan cheese. Bake 20 minutes. Set oven to broil and broil until the top is bubbly and golden brown. Serve immediately.
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, smooth, and creamy, about 10 minutes. (Don't allow to boil)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead; cool, cover, and refrigerate) Yield: about 4 cups
Source: Giada DeLaurentiis