To start off this great, first week of December, I thought I would post a delicious cookie combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Really, nothing goes better together!
It's always a treat when my mom makes buckeyes, which, if you've never tried them, are peanut butter fudge balls dipped in chocolate. The buckeye part comes in when you leave a little bit of peanut butter showing like a buckeye!
I knew I had to find a cookie recipe that resembled one of my favorite treats! These buckeye cookies are a mix of the peanut butter fudge filling and chocolate crinkle cookies that are rolled in sugar. How can you go wrong??
Yield: About 2 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Line a few baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients with the mixer on low speed until just combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the remaining peanut butter and powdered sugar for the filling, until smooth.
- Add additional sugar to a small bowl or plate with sides for rolling the cookies.
- Get a heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten with your hands. Add one teaspoon peanut butter filling to the center of the dough and shape the dough around the peanut butter, pressing with your fingers to seal shut. Roll the cookie into a ball and then roll in sugar.
- Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Flatten each cookie slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes; let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Enjoy!!
Source: Brown Eyed Baker