As we were eating some appetizers, I kept thinking about these fantastic little fried ravioli that I have made several times. These are so easy to make and everyone will love it! I have some very picky people in my family and they all love these. If you have a fancy little deep fryer like this one that I have, it makes this recipe all the more fun!
I use my deep fryer a lot! It doesn't take much oil because it is small, and by the time you let these sit on a paper towel to drain off the excess oil, these really aren't greasy tasting at all! The best part to this recipe? 3 ingredients!!
Now for one little bit of advice: bread the ravioli at least 10 minutes in advance before the time that you want to eat these. It does take a little bit of time to bread, and the ravioli must sit with the breading on them for a few minutes before frying. Otherwise, the breading will come off in the fryer.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup buttermilk (I don't measure--just eyeball!)
- 2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs (again--just eyeball)
- 1 box store-bought cheese ravioli (preferably the refrigerated ravioli, not frozen--like these)
- Grated parmesan, for sprinkling on top after frying
- Marinara sauce, heated, for dipping
- Pour oil into deep fryer to at least the minimum line, and set the temperature to 325 degrees F. If using a large frying pan, pour oil in to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium heat, until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, or prior to heating the oil, bread the ravioli. Put the buttermilk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Working in batches, dip ravioli in buttermilk and then in bread crumbs. Set on a baking sheet and continue to bread the rest.
- When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in small batches, turning occasionally until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the ravioli to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle the ravioli with parmesan cheese and serve with marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!!
Source: Giada de Laurentiis