It's December...it's cold...all you want is to snuggle under a cozy blanket and drink a nice, warm cup of hot cocoa. If you're anything like my dad, (the chocolate lover that he is!) you will want hot cocoa, with a chocolate bar, and a warm chocolate cookie! Ok, maybe not that much chocolate!
You could also just make these delicious hot cocoa inspired cookies that are like heaven coming out of the oven!
Want just a few, warm, hot cocoa cookies some night? Roll all of the dough into balls and seal in a freezer safe bag or container. Cookies will be ready whenever you want them!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes per tray
Yield: approx. 5 dozen
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup hot cocoa mix *See note*
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used the mini chips!)
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows, frozen **See note**
*For the hot cocoa mix: I used the Swiss Miss Milk Chocolate hot cocoa packets. These packets were each 0.74 ounces and you need a total of 4 ounces. Because of that either use:
- 4--1 ounce packets or
- 5--0.74 ounce packets
Whatever you can find that works for you!
**I froze the marshmallows in a large measuring glass covered with plastic wrap. That way, the marshmallows don't leak out of the cookie as much when baking!
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars. In a separate small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla. Add to the butter mixture.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, hot cocoa mix, salt, and baking soda. Add this to the butter mixture in small amounts until fully incorporated. The dough will be very thick!
- With a heavy-duty spoon, add both chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper. Take a heaping Tablespoon of dough into your hand. Flatten the dough and place 3 marshmallows in the center. Fold the dough over and roll into a ball, until the marshmallows cannot be seen. (See pictures below)
- Dough balls can either be baked at this point or sealed in a freezer bag/container. Bake each tray for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will still look soft and very slightly glossy on top. Let cool about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy warm, or you can reheat each cookie for 10 seconds in the microwave!
Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything