Mike has been bugging me to make him a dessert because I haven't in quite a few weeks. Since it's Lent, I gave up practically everything like I do every year: ice cream, pop, candy, cake, cookies, snacking between meals...I have actually been doing a pretty good job! I did cheat a few times though :( Your dad only has a 60th birthday party once, and that chocolate cake was making me drool.
Then, when I finally made Mike these monster cookies, I cheated again...okay maybe twice, or three times. What the heck I think I ate half a dozen so far.
They are so good!!
I hate a cookie that is hard, but I do love a good crunch on the outside of a chewy cookie. I think the key to the perfect, chewy cookie is to take them out of the oven just before they get brown. The cookies continue to bake as they cool on the tray, thus resulting in a perfectly chewy cookie :)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: about 5 dozen
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (crunchy works too, if you like the nuts!)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups oats (I used the instant oats)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used mini, since that's what I had on hand, and they worked perfectly!)
- 3/4 cup M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, white sugar and peanut butter.
- In a small bowl (I always do this so I don't get egg shells in my food!) Combine the eggs and vanilla. Add this to the butter mixture, and mix well until creamy.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the oats. (I love to use my Kitchenaid mixer to get this started, but then I stir in the remaining ingredients by hand. Otherwise, the bottom of the bowl doesn't mix in.)
- Stir in the peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, and M&Ms.
- Place 12 balls of dough, about 1 1/2 Tablespoons on the baking tray. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies almost look browned. The cookies will continue to cook on the tray as they cool. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.