Again, this uses my little secret called "box cake mix," but no one really needs to know that! I really think that a box cake mix is just as moist and delicious as a mix from scratch, so why not make it easy on yourself!
My favorite part of this recipe is the dual-swirled frosting. Everyone always comments on how great these look! I've had to explain how to swirl the frostings together numerous times, but I'm glad to share my techniques =)
Prep Time: 45 minutes + cupcake cooling time
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Yield: approximately 6 dozen mini cupcakes
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 1 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Bailey's Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
Kahlua Buttercream Frosting:
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 Tablespoons Kahlua, or other coffee liqueur
- 3 Tablespoons hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in 3 mini cupcake pans. Mix cake ingredients together according to box directions, and add the coffee along with the oil and eggs.
- Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake 8-9 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely before icing.
- For the Bailey's frosting, combine butter and powdered sugar, and mix until smooth. Add vanilla and Bailey's, mixing until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- For the Kahlua frosting, combine butter and powdered sugar on low. (Since there's not as much butter, this will not look creamy yet.) Add the cocoa, Kahlua and coffee and mix until fully combined.
- To frost, place both frostings in separate pastry bags, fitted with pastry tips. (For the Kahlua frosting, I like to use a medium-small star tip, to create texture. To offset, I use a medium round tip for the Bailey's frosting. Keep in mind, the Kahlua frosting makes slightly less. I use a smaller frosting tip, so I won't run out.) Also, only fill each bag about 1/2 full--trust me. You'll thank me later!
- Twist the ends of both pastry bags and place both bags in a gallon ziploc with a corner snipped off. Position the bags so that the tips of both bags are next to each other at the same level. Frost on the cupcakes and enjoy!!
Source: An Adaptation from The Curvy Carrot