So I searched my pantry the other day, and let's just say I have a lot of random stuff in there; and lots of doubles! I don't always know if I have an ingredient at home, so I just get another one...thus resulting in 3 salsas and 4 peanut butters. I wish I were kidding.
But don't worry! This recipe does not include salsa and peanut butter. That would be terrifying. Unless you actually have a recipe that uses both ingredients.
In that case, please send it to me :)
However, I felt like playing Chopped the other day by searching my pantry and making myself prepare a meal with whatever I had on hand. I had canned pineapple chunks, lots of teriyaki sauce, chicken tenders, and panko. Sounds pretty good right? This turned out to be one of my new favorite meals, and it can be made in under 30 minutes! Even my husband requested it again ;)
Yield: 3 servings
- 1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, in juice
- 2 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 1 cup plain panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil
- To make the sauce, combine pineapple chunks and juice, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, and garlic powder in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Cook to thicken the sauce as you prepare the chicken.
- In a shallow bowl, combine panko and salt. In another shallow bowl, add the egg and whisk gently. Pour 2 Tablespoons olive oil into a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat.
- To bread, dip the chicken tenders in egg and then panko. You may have to press the chicken into the panko to get it to stick. Add the coated chicken to the pan and cook about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown. (If the breading starts to get a little too dark, turn the heat down to medium-low. My nonstick pan has a lower heat level than my All-Clad.)
- As the chicken is cooking, stir the water into the sauce and allow to thicken.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, you are ready to eat! I love to serve the chicken with a side of white or brown rice and broccoli. Pour the sauce over your chicken and rice and you have a delicious meal!! Enjoy!
Source: All Recipes