2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Rainbow sprinkles (I used 2 medium sized jars)
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon corn syrup
1 1/2 Tablespoon milk (give or take for desired thickness)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla (just a small splash--you don't want to change the color of the icing)
1 teaspoon butter, melted and cooled
Food coloring (I used a dab of Wilton gel colors--optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, mix together flour and salt; set aside. Pour sprinkles in a small bowl; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium high speed, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and add flour mixture. Once it is mostly incorporated, slowly increase the speed back to medium high for another minute or so until the dough forms.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, roll around in the sprinkles (leaving the top and bottom clean) and place on prepared baking sheet. Fill the rest of the tray, leaving cookies about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Make a small indentation in the tops of the cookies with the back of a melon baller or your thumb.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and make the indentation slightly bigger. Bake another 8 minutes. (Cookies should not be brown at all around the edges!)
- Let stand for a few minutes, and move cookies to a wire rack for cooling.
- Combine all of the icing ingredients, adding the food coloring last. Mix thoroughly.
- Immediately spoon small spoonfuls onto the cooled cookies. Careful not to add too much, as the icing will drip down the sides of the cookies! Let the icing harden for the best taste!
Source: BrownEyedBaker (cookie recipe)