Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: About 20 good-sized pieces
- 6 cups black raspberries, washed
- 1/3 cup tapioca
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/3 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium bowl, mix together the raspberries, tapioca and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Allow to sit for at least a half hour. (This lets the berries macerate - the berries become softer and the sugar allows the berries to get juicy!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 15" cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Then, in another medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender or two forks. Set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the egg, milk, and vanilla. Then, add to the shortening mixture to form a smooth dough.
- Reserve a softball sized ball of dough for the lattice on top of the pie. Pat the rest of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, making the edges a bit thicker.
- Spread the fruit and juice evenly over the crust.
- Roll out the rest of the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut the dough into 1/2 - 3/4 inch strips. Lay over the fruit in diagonal, overlapping rows.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top crust looks golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!!