The first time we made this recipe, there was far too much stuffing. When we baked it, all of the cheese poured out of the chicken and it was kind of like the elephant in the room while we were eating it... After tweaking a few things, we now have the most perfect recipe!
I hope you enjoy one of our family's favorite meals!
Yield: 4 servings
- 7 oz. mixed shredded mozzarella, parmesan, and asiago cheeses
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tablespoons sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 6 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 small yellow onion
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. marsala wine
- 8 oz. heavy cream
- Butterfly the chicken to create 2 thinner, but still connected, pieces.
- Combine all stuffing ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stuff chicken with cheese stuffing, fold over, and press down. Season the flour with salt and pepper and dip chicken to coat both sides and edges.
- Preheat oil in a large saute pan. Cook each side until golden, but it does not need to be cooked through.
- Place chicken on a foil-lined tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Add onions to a saute pan with a little dash of oil. Cook 2 minutes before add sliced mushrooms. Continue cooking until onions are translucent and mushrooms are soft.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping the sides and bottom of pan. Bring to a simmer and add heavy cream. Simmer until reduced by half.
- Place chicken on a plate and top with sauce. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable! Enjoy!