These cupcakes use root beer as well as root beer extract. Check out the extract that I used here. To be honest, I wasn't sure how I felt about the combination of root beer and sweet cake, but once I tried one, I fell in love!!
These were so simple to make by sprucing up a vanilla cake mix. I love using the Betty Crocker Super Moist vanilla cake, because it already has pudding in the mix. You'd never know it's a cake mix!!
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: about 18-20 cupcakes
- 1 vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup root beer
- 1 Tablespoon root beer extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 Tablespoon root beer extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tablespoons root beer
- Brown food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two cupcake pans with cupcake wrappers.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix, 1 cup root beer, 1 T. root beer extract, vegetable oil and eggs. Beat on low to combine for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides. Beat on medium-high for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Fill cupcake wrappers 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the pans and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine butter, 1/2 T. root beer extract, powdered sugar and 4-5 T. root beer. Using a mixer, beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Optional - add brown food coloring to create your desired color of frosting.
- Using a piping bag, top your cupcakes with frosting. Add a cherry on top and half of a straw for the perfect look! Enjoy!!