And when I think of one of my favorite dishes that my mom made when I was younger, I think of this chicken pot pie!
This is really a great recipe for that fall evening when you want a good, home cooked dinner! I have made this so many times for company, and they have all loved it!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4-5
- 1 9" pie crust
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 8 oz. mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 pound chicken tenders, diced
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can cream of broccoli soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 oz. can corn, drained
- 16 oz. can whole potatoes, drained and diced
- Let the pie crust come to room temperature.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium heat. Cook carrots, onions, and mushrooms, adding 2 Tablespoons water to steam. Cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 more Tablespoons of oil and cook chicken with salt until cooked through, 5-10 minutes. Stir in the broccoli soup, milk, pepper, corn, and potatoes. Let simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and onion back into the pan and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and place in a 9 or 9 1/2 inch pan plate. (I have a 9 1/2 that I use for this, to prevent spilling. This does work fine with a 9" plate, though! You may simply want to put a piece of foil under the dish.)
- Cover the dish with the pie crust and fold the outside edge under to seal. Then, using a fork, crimp the edge the whole way around the dish. Cut a few small vents in the center of the pie with a sharp knife.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!