When I was thinking about what kind of cookies to make for this year's cookie tour, I had to find the perfect lemon crinkle cookie. I've seen lots of recipes that are simple and include a lemon cake mix, but I wanted something from scratch with an authentic lemon taste. The first time I made this recipe, I followed the amount of lemon perfectly. It was good, but not quite lemony enough. So...I did what all lemon lovers did - double the lemon! My husband agreed that this was the perfect combination of sweet and sour :)
Yield: about 3 dozen
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Line a few baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Scrapes the sides and mix again.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour powdered sugar into a small bowl or plate with sides. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely turn brown and the tops of the cookies look matte. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheets for about 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, sprinkle additional powdered sugar on top, if desired. Enjoy!!