When I came across this recipe, I was a bit skeptical, because no one can out-do my mom's classic. However, this is such a different take on the typical "shredded chicken in a crescent roll." Adding panko gives it an unexpected, and awesome crunch, and the pesto had such a delicious flavor that makes these really stand out!
Active Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 pillows**
- 1 (8 oz.) block of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 (8 oz.) packages, Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups seasoned Panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, pesto, green onions, and chicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out the crescent rolls onto a flat work surface. Gently layer two crescent triangles together to form a rectangle. Seal the seam well.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture onto the center of each crescent. Grab each corner of the dough and bring to the center, pinching to seal.
- Pour the panko crumbs and butter onto separate plates or shallow dishes. Dip each pillow in butter, then roll completely in panko. Place on the prepared baking sheet, seam side down.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
(**My advice--don't make more than your family will eat right out of the oven. These do not reheat very well, as the cream cheese tends to lose it's consistency.)