Then this fantastic recipe is the just the trick!
At this time of year, I will be the first to admit that I purchase everything flavored with pumpkin. But sadly, most of these beverages and treats don't have real pumpkin in them! Starbucks PSL's anyone?
Instead, I will be making these homemade pumpkin spice lattes with real pumpkin, spices, whole milk, a little sugar and vanilla, so that I know what I am actually drinking!
Yield: 2 large mugs full!
- 1/4 cup espresso **
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (plus more for on top)
- 2 1/4 cups milk (I used whole milk)
- Whipped cream (for on top)
For the espresso, I used instant espresso. I heated 1/4 cup of water until boiling and then added 1 teaspoon instant espresso--stirred and let sit until I needed to use it at the end. (I do love my coffee strong, so feel free to use less espresso!)
- Make espresso (however you would like!) and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Whisk in the milk and espresso and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Pour into two mugs and top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Enjoy the taste of fall in the convenience of your own home!
Source: Food Network Magazine