If you have tried my Fiesta Lime Chicken recipe, then you have most likely fallen in love with the meal, as my family also has...but believe me, it's not an A+ meal until you serve it with these scrumptious muffins!
Active Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 dozen medium muffins
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Use a nonstick 12-muffin pan or grease each muffin cup.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter, honey and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Pour batter into the muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden and set in the middle.
Yield: about 1 cup
Pecan Butter Ingredients:
- 1/8 cup pecan chips
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/8 cup clover honey
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
(I know these amounts are slightly strange and small--The original recipe called for 4 sticks of butter, which was way too much! I tweeked this a little and made it for only 1 stick of butter, which is perfect for a batch of cornbread muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place pecans on a baking tray and bake until toasted, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place butter and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and blend on medium for 3-5 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the pecans and blend for another minute. Continue to blend on low speed, adding the honey until all ingredients are well-combined (the honey amount is approximate--feel free to change the amount to your own taste!)
Note: I sometimes make the butter in advance and chill in the fridge, allowing it to come slightly to room temp. an hour before serving.