When I was growing up, I would munch on whatever my mom brought home from the grocery store - ice cream, candy, chips...anything. I was not picky about my junk food :) My sister, on the other hand, would only, and even to this day will only eat Goldfish crackers with milk chocolate bars. I never really understand how she could eat "fishies" with chocolate.
I think I finally understand. The saltiness just evens out the sweetness of the chocolate and the caramel in these cookies. I can't really explain why it is so good. It just is. After I made these cookies, my mom said that she has found her new favorite!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: about 3 dozen
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 36 chocolate coated caramel candies (like Rolos)
- Coarse ground sea salt
- In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer, cream together the butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until incorporated. Stir in the milk.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips - the dough will be very thick and sticky.
- Chill for at least 1-2 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line large baking sheets with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Take 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Flatten with your hands and set aside. Flatten another Tablespoon of dough and place a chocolate coated caramel in the middle. Cover with the other piece of dough and mold the top and bottom around the candy, sealing the edges.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough, placing completed dough balls 2-inches apart. Sprinkle each with sea salt before placing in the oven.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cookies will appear undone and very soft. Allow cookies to sit on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.